Monday, July 4, 2011

Social Situation



The social situation that I observed was at a Walmart store in Delevan, Wisconsin. The store is located in a very small town in Wisconsin that is both home to tourists and people living there year round. Walmart is located in a plaza with Lowes, Starbucks and Kohl’s and also many other shops. My observation took place while shopping throughout the store. Mainly my observations were in the food center because I was grocery shopping for the long weekend, but also I spent some time observing near the movies and toys.
The people shopping at this walmart were mostly White, but I did see a few Hispanic and African American families. Because the people shopping at Walmart are both the people that live in town and the ones that are just vacationing there is a wide variety of social classes present at the store, ranging from lower to upper class.
While observing the things that were occurring in this walmart I noticed that people are very friendly and helpful. Not just the workers but also the customers are always offering a helping hand with grabbing things out of reach. The store is also very slow paced. Because I am from Chicago I am always doing tasks fast. Usually shopping at a walmart in the city means that you are rushing from isle to isle to get your shopping done. But at this walmart everyone was taking his or her time. The cashier took her time and had a whole conversation while ringing us up. Along with this the cashier in the electronics department also was very friendly and spoke to us as if we were long time friends. The whole store has very kind workers and also shoppers. Even I who always seems rushed took my time at the store and did not make it seem as a task but more as something enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. thanks Anna, yes I imagine the pace is quite different great observations!

    ReplyDelete